EveryBuddy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome To EveryBuddy. Come join our community today.

Waterloo Lily

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeeRain
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Male Posts : 179

Waterloo Lily Empty
PostSubject: Waterloo Lily   Waterloo Lily Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 11:57 am

Waterloo Lily 83bca766e65f

[SIZE="5"]Waterloo Lily[/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"](Deram 1972)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]1. Waterloo Lily
2. Nothing at all /It's coming soon / Nothing at all (reprise)
3. Songs and signs
4. Aristocracy
5. The love in your eye / To catch me a brother / Subsultus / Debouchement / Tilbury kecks
6. The world is yours[/SIZE]

Caravan goes m3t4lzzz!!1!11 OMG!! WTF!!1!11!112233

No, of course they aren't, that would be crazy! But nonetheless, this here album greets you with one of their heaviest tracks ever, with a mean descending riff that in the hands of a much more caveman-like band, keen on ledding zeppelins and blacking sabbaths rather than caravanning through Picadilly, would turn into a potential metal feast. What actually happened on this album was that David Sinclair left the group to be replaced by Steve Miller (no, not that Steve Miller) which steered the band in a somewhat different direction. He obviously preferred electric piano over the trusty organ and there is a much stronger funk/jazz-fusion influence on here than on the previous albums. Some may like it because of that but me, I don't really care too much for it. You know what happens when white dudes try their hands on funk, don't you? "[URL="http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/d/deep-purple/album-come-taste-the-band.jpg"]Come taste the band[/URL]", that's what happens! Get me Glenn Hughes for personal execution!

Okay, it's not that Miller managed to ruin the experience or anything. Some of these tracks not only managed to carry on the Caravan tradition of meek baroque pop, but also expand on it and in the process Pye Hastings really started to make good use of his voice, thin as it may be. The lead-in title track, if we may get back to that one, already betrays said funkster tendencies with a bouncy singing part that continues the tradition of "Golf girl" only to give way for a tricky, almost Crimsonian, riff passage. Best album opener since their debut, says I. Have you noticed how peculiar the bass guitar sounds on this album, by the way? That punchy attack working almost entirely in the middle range rather than the bottom. Maybe that helps boosting the funk experience which is carried on to the following track "Nothing at all" which is basically a blues jam and little more. Improvised solo passages abound and it's probably competent and all that but it doesn't do much for me. Neither do "Songs and signs" which is just an uninspired pop shuffle.

"Aristocracy" works better though, since it's built on an airy scat-sung melody that's reminiscent of the "If I could do it all over again..." vibe, but over an almost proto-disco rythm this time around. Could and should have been a radio hit! But it is the closing "The world is yours" that claims the prize for being the best compact pop tune on the album. The melody, intelligently weaved into the slightly prolonged chorus measure, is so simple but oh so effective! Pye shuffles his way through the song with really catchy and rythmic chord-riffs and no funk anywhere to be found!

And finally we've got the by now obligatory epic that precedes it, "The love in your eye", which begins on a really humble note with the quiet but pretty verse lines, but soon picks up steam and emerges into an string-peppered bridge that gives it an almost ELO-like feel. Off we go into a dexterous flute solo, interspersed with orchestral breaks, and then some keyboard solos stacked on top of each other. It all concludes with a reprise of the verse and a - once again - funky, albeit obviously inspired and playful piano/wahwah guitar interplay. The first part of the track is arguably the best, as it's slowly starting to betray the lush pop tendencies of late-period Caravan, but taken as a whole it's not really worse than "Nine feet underground". Especially since it's ten minutes shorter and thus maybe more digestible for those not prepared for yet another onslaught of keyboard noodling.

My final verdict is that "Waterloo Lily" is much of a transitional album for Caravan. Not bad by any means, but overall somewhat let down by the excursions in terrains they were not very well suited for (and that were not very good in the first place, but that's a personal opinion). Thankfully, Miller left right after this album which again left the ivories vacant. Read on to find out for whom!

cruises from san diego
cabo wedding photographer
Back to top Go down

Waterloo Lily
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EveryBuddy :: Special Forums :: Girl's Forum-
Jump to: